- Reduce or eliminate pain: Therapeutic exercises and manual therapy techniques such as joint and soft tissue mobilization or treatments such as ultrasound, taping, or electrical stimulation can help relieve pain and restore muscle and joint function. Therapies such as these can also prevent pain from returning.
- Avoid surgery: Physical therapy gets used to eliminate pain or help heal from an injury. If you can eliminate these issues, you may be able to avoid surgery. If surgery is required, individuals can still benefit from pre-surgery physical therapy. In many cases, you can expect to recover faster by going into surgery stronger and in better shape.
- Improve mobility: Regardless of age, many people experience trouble standing, walking or moving. Physical therapy can help by using stretching and strengthening exercises to help restore your ability to move. In some situations, assistive devices such as canes, crutches, braces, orthotics or other devices may be necessary. Our physical therapists can assess and properly fit individuals as needed.
- Recover from or prevent a sports injury: Physical therapists understand how specific injuries are at a higher risk with different sports (such as stress fractures for distance runners). We can design an appropriate recovery or prevention exercise program for our patients to ensure a safe return to their sport.
- Improve your balance and prevent falls: In the initial stages of physical therapy, we assess our patients for fall risk. If they’re at high risk for falls, our therapists will provide exercises that safely challenge their balance to mimic real-life situations. Therapists will also help with exercises to improve coordination and, if necessary, assistive devices to help with safer walking. When the balance issue gets caused by a problem in an individual’s vestibular system, our physical therapists can perform specific maneuvers that can quickly restore proper vestibular function and reduce and eliminate symptoms of dizziness or vertigo.
10 Reasons Why Physical Therapy Is Beneficial
It’s fair to say that almost all of us have experienced an injury from sports, tweaked something while picking up a box or even just pulled something from sleeping funny or sneezing! Most people count on the pain going away, but unfortunately, that is not always the case. Physical therapy is an excellent option for people of all ages. It can help treat injuries, illnesses or other medical conditions that may limit a person’s ability to move and function.
At Innovation Physical Therapy, we realize that a customized physical therapy program can help individuals return to their previous level of activity or function. We look to encourage activities and lifestyle changes to improve overall health and well-being while also helping to prevent further injury. Doctors often refer patients to physical therapy at the first sign of a problem, which is considered a conservative approach to managing issues.
Have you ever wondered what it is that makes physical therapy so important? Here are 10 benefits that we have identified:
6. Manage age-related issues: As individuals age, it is not uncommon to develop issues with arthritis or osteoporosis or possibly need a joint replacement. Our physical therapists are experts in helping manage arthritic or osteoporotic conditions and can assist patients with joint replacement recovery.
7. Manage heart and lung disease: Following a heart attack or other heart procedure, it is common for individuals to complete cardiac rehabilitation. Even with this rehab, issues with other parts of your daily functioning are uncommon. Dealing with these issues is where physical therapy can come in. Regarding pulmonary problems, physical therapy can improve quality of life through strengthening, conditioning and breathing exercises and help patients clear fluid in the lungs.
8. Manage Women’s Health and other conditions: It is essential to know that women have specific health concerns, such as pregnancy and post-partum care. Physical therapists can offer specialized management of issues related to women’s health. Additionally, physical therapy can provide customized treatment for Bowel incontinence, breast cancer, constipation, fibromyalgia, lymphedema, male pelvic health, pelvic pain, and urinary incontinence.
9. Manage diabetes and vascular conditions: As part of an overall diabetes management plan, diet and exercise can help effectively control blood sugar. Additionally, people with diabetes may have problems with sensation in their feet and legs. Physical therapists can help provide and educate these patients on proper foot care to prevent further problems down the road.
10. Physical Therapy can help avoid dependence on pain medication: Often, following surgery, there can be long-term pain issues that need to get addressed. Physical therapy can be a safe choice to reduce the risk of dependence on pain medication (mainly opioids) when dealing with pain issues after surgery.
Book an Appointment Today!
Our goal at Innovation Physical Therapy is to help our patients regain their original capabilities. As part of the healing process and focus on physical therapy, individuals strive to restore previously lost abilities. Though this does not happen overnight, under the supervision and planning of our expert physical therapists, you will see and feel incredible results. We look to help our patients regain their original capabilities and significantly improve their overall fitness and health.
For any questions or advice related to physical therapy or any issues that you may be suffering from, contact one of our trained physiotherapists at Innovation Physical Therapy!